Thursday, September 27, 2012

4 things I love about James Taylor

In honor of Dallas Does the Music of James Taylor and Carole King, which we are participating in this Saturday, Sept. 29th, I present four things I love about James Taylor in no particular order:



1. The music (duh). James Taylor's music combines folk and blues in this gentle, cheerful way that I don't think anyone else can do in quite the same way. Even when the song is sad, like "Fire and Rain," the sound of the music makes me smile and relax, and that is a wonderful quality for any music.

2. James Taylor's pleasant performance demeanor. Just like the sound of his music, JT's performance demeanor is pleasant. He smiles a lot, which is surprisingly rare for live performers. This makes him a joy to watch.

3. His live band is awesome. They're not called the "band of legends" for nothing.

4. James Taylor doesn't play a Taylor. He plays a Martin. Like me. :) Okay, he's also played Olsons and Gibsons and, I suppose it's possible that he sneaked in a Taylor somewhere -- I don't really know. The point is, at some point, he has played a Martin. I also play a Martin. Therefore, I'm as good as James Taylor. (I hope the logical fallacy police don't come and get me, now. Oh wait, this is the internet. No worries, there. )

Finally, the list seems incomplete at only 4 items, so for a fifth item, here's the one thing I don't like about James Taylor:

 "Shower thee people you love with love,/show them thee way that you feeeeel..."

 It just gets on my nerves. A lot. It makes me want to shower people with corrections in pronunciation. (It's standard in English to pronounce the word "the" as "thuh" when  it precedes a word beginning with a consonant sound and as "thee" when it precedes a word beginning with a vowel.) Here's a little video on correct pronunciation of "the" for you, JT:


See you tomorrow for a post on Carole King.

No comments:

Post a Comment