Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Weekend recap: fallergies, coffeehouse cafe, and writing weekend


Hello, all. I'm writing a weekend recap on Tuesday instead of Monday because I sat down to my computer this morning and completely believed that it was Monday. I think that's because I spent most of yesterday, the actual Monday, high on Benadryl. Autumn allergies are always the worst for me and they have just hit the Jones household in full force, so Adam and I are a disgusting  pair of sneezing, sniffling, itchy, tea-drinking, pill-popping allergy sufferers. In fact, autumn allergies are so bad, they need their own word: fallergies. That's not very good is it? Probably not going to make it onto any nasonex commericals anytime soon as the new allergy catch-phrase. The good thing about spending Monday in a Benadryl-haze is that it's kind of like having a four-day weekend. I recommend it. Anyway, here's my weekend gig recap:

Friday, we played for the first time at Coffeehouse Cafe in Dallas. The crowd and staff there were very kind. The stage was small, so rather than squeeze the three of us together, my dad and I did a duo performance for the first time in ages, and it was fun to remember how well we work together as a team. The highlight of the evening for me was when someone requested a Norah Jones song, and, through the magic of wi-fi, I pulled up the lyrics on my Kindle and performed the song without a hitch. Internet is fun. We are looking forward to going back to Coffeehouse Cafe on Saturday, Nov. 3rd. This is a slight change from the previously-scheduled date of Friday, Nov. 2nd, so, if you were planning on coming before, you'll want to change your calendars to reflect the new night.

In addition to fallergies and coffeehouse cafe, I participated in my very first, self-instituted "writing weekend," in which I holed-up in my office at UTD on Friday and Saturday to get some dissertation work done without the distractions of home like Desmond crawling on top of my keyboard or all the seasons of Gossip Girl on Netflix. While not an enormous success (I left with no stunning, completed dissertation chapters under my arm Saturday evening), I certainly got more work done in my office than I ever do at home, so writing weekend is officially my new "thing."

Have a good week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment