Friday, November 9, 2012

Happy Friday: 5 ways to combat writer's block

Writing a dissertation puts me in the position of dealing with writer's block way more than I'd like. Here are some things that help:

5. Work in a different medium

Sometimes when I'm stuck -- especially if I lack ideas about a topic -- it's helpful for me to do something creative with the material: write a song about it, make a collage, draw a picture, etc. I think doing this helps me see the material in a different way and forces me to make sense of the ideas in a very different context, which makes me hone in on what is most important about what I'm trying to say. It also helps me, if I'm working constantly on a computer, to do something physical -- write by hand or make an outline and then cut up the pieces and rearrange them -- or draw a giant timeline in dry-erase marker on a mirror, like I did last spring, when studying for exams:

4. Sleep

It sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but often, when I'm working on a big project and suddenly feel like I can't go on, a little nap (or a long one) will help tremendously. I'll usually wake up with the solution to whatever problem I had been trying to solve. Plus, it's better to be well-rested when writing anyway.

3. Make lists

I do this constantly -- on Google calendar, on random note cards, in my journal, on the back of any random scrap of paper that happens my way -- heck, I'm doing it right now. Lists help me brainstorm and organize and just get my thoughts out of my head and on paper (or on a computer screen). They help me to complete tasks, they help me to generate ideas, and they help me remember to do things like buy cat food or pay the electric bill or call a friend. Lists are my friend.

2. Free-write

This one sounds a little cliche, but it works like a charm. If you've never done a free-write before, here's what you do: set yourself a goal -- either a word goal or a time goal -- for how long you want to write, then, write as much as you can, as quickly as you can, on whatever topic you're trying to write more about. Don't stop, don't censor yourself, and don't worry about grammar, spelling, etc. -- just write. I am amazed at the things that somehow come out of my head when I do this. Two websites that are made just to facilitate this sort of thing, and which I have found useful are http://750words.com/ and http://writeordie.com/, both of which have ways of helping you set and adhere to free-writing goals. 750 words encourages daily writing of -- you guessed it -- 750 words, and it works mostly through "rewards" of winning badges for meeting writing goals. Write or die works through "punishment" for not writing -- you set a word or a time goal on the site's writing application, and the program keeps you on track by playing a horrible noise after a certain amount of time spent not writing or, on more strict modes, by actually deleting your material.

And the number one way to fix writer's block:

1. Get a deadline!

I am never more productive than under a tight deadline. Likewise, I am least productive when I lack a tight deadline. The deadlines always win. "Get some self-control," you say; "be a grown-up," you say. The problem, of course, is that being a grown-up means meeting lots of deadlines: paying rent, going to the dentist regularly, getting to work on time, meeting other responsibilities. Sure, I have internal motivation to write and all that jazz, but if anything else in my life has more pressing deadlines than my writing does (and lots of things do), I will always spend more time on those things than on my writing. That's what makes my current task of dissertation-writing so darn difficult: there are no hard deadlines. But Friday comes at the same time each week, so I usually keep my appointment to write a "Happy Friday" post like this one. See what I mean? The deadlines always win. I've tried, but mostly failed, at setting up some artificial deadlines with people in my life to hold me accountable, but that hasn't worked very well. There's no grade or job at stake yet. Maybe I just need to make my dissertation goals public, on this site, since apparently I feel compelled to write at least 2 weekly posts here. Do you have any ideas for how to make deadlines when there aren't any? I desperately need them.

And I desperately need you -- to have a Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment