Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August is Open Mic Month

So, the title of this entry is a little misleading. There's no "official" open mic month, as far as I know. But for myself, I'm declaring August "open mic month." Why? Well, because every summer I tell myself that I'm going to take advantage of a freer schedule by attending lots of open mics, and every summer I procrastinate until school starts again and I'm unable to attend any. This coming semester, my Tuesday and Thursday evenings are especially busy, so there's not much of a chance that I'll be able to make it to any of the many open mics held on those evenings. So in an effort to maximize the remaining time before school starts, I am declaring August "open mic month."
Here's a list of the open mics I hope to attend in the coming weeks:

Thurs. 8/2: Half Price Books (Flagship store in Dallas on Northwest Highway)
Sun. 8/5: The Crown and Harp -- Dallas (oops! Already had to cancel one, but we'll catch this another night)
Wed. 8/8: Dunn Bros. Coffee, Addison (turns out they're only on the 1st Wed. of the month:
http://openmicdallas.com/EventListing ) 
Tues. 8/14:  Opening Bell Coffee (especially because the incredible Joel Megli is the featured artist)
Tues. 8/21: Buon Giorno -- Grapevine, TX
Sat. 8/25: America’s Best Coffee -- Arlington, TX


All these start at 7:00, except for The Crown and Harp, which is from 5-9. Sign-up usually starts about 30-minutes prior.

Open mics are a great way for beginners to test the waters of performing and for seasoned performers to try out new material. Plus, you'll meet lots of great, like-minded people, learn from each others' musical styles, and experience an evening of diverse music while enjoying the atmosphere, food, and drinks of a local coffeehouse or bar. I hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment